Watson CPA Group - Knowledgebase


What happens if my host country has a form of social security?

Article ID: 41
Last updated: 16 Oct, 2012
Revision: 4
print  Print
share  Share
comment  Add comment
Views: 0
Comments: 0

By Jason Watson ()

The United States has created tax treaties with several countries to coordinate the coverage and taxation of society security benefits. Every country has a different name for it, and each agreement is different. The specific agreement is called ‘totalization’ and prevents dual coverage and dual contributions. The following countries have entered into these types of agreements-

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea (South), Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and of course the United Kingdom.

Properly understanding your social security coverage by another country can save you thousands of dollars in potential dual taxation. Let us help!

You can also visit the Social Security Administration for more information on the agreements and their respective coverage rules. It’s a real page-turner.

This article was:   Helpful | Not helpful Report an issue

Also read
item What is foreign earned income exclusion?
item If I am a self-employed ExPat, what taxes am I responsible for?
item How do tax treaties affect my ExPat situation?
item What is the difference between foreign tax credit and deduction?

Prev     Next
May I still make contributions to my IRA as an ExPat?       If I am a self-employed ExPat, what taxes am I responsible for?